It is modular and consists essentially of a series of Sass stylesheets that implement the various components of the toolkit. Component stylesheets can be included via Sass or by customizing the initial download. The developer can adapt the Foundation file itself, selecting the components he wishes to use in his project.
Adjustments are possible to a limited extent through a central configuration stylesheet. More profound changes are possible by changing the Sass variables.
The use of Sass stylesheet language allows the use of variables, functions and operators, nested selectors, as well as so-called mixins.>
Since version 3.0, its configuration also has a special “Customize” option in the documentation. Moreover, the developer chooses on a form the desired components and adjusts, if necessary, the values of various options to their needs. The subsequently generated package already includes the pre-built CSS style sheet.
Features of Foundation Framework:
- It has relatively incomplete support for HTML5 and CSS3, but is compatible with all major browsers.
- Supports responsive design.
- Provide a small set of basic utility classes.
- Make software development easier by introducing consistent conventions for things such as deallocation.
- Small/Medium business websites
- Support Unicode strings, object persistence, and object distribution.
- Provide a level of OS independence, to enhance portability.